If you'd like to follow my blog, please enter your email below...

Friday, January 18, 2013

La campaña de Fe

Recently, one of the kids in my site from the special needs school fell ill with pneumonia. He was sent to a hospital in Trujillo (the capital of my department) and the hospital bills were unfortunately high. The community rallied together to raise money for the family to help pay for the bills. I began helping my socio (my community partner) plan a telethon to raise money for the family. Unfortunately, the day before the telethon, Roberto passed away. We still held the telethon to raise money for the family and while it was a huge success it was still a very sad day. Family and friends came to the event to say farewells, dedicate songs, and express condolences to the family. During the telethon, a 6 hour long Bingo event was held, a hora loca, and various friends/family dedicated songs to Roberto. The Bingo helped raise a ton of money for the family! The hora loca is basically a group of people who come to dance/sing/do skits to get a party going. Roberto loved hora locas and so this was a nice homage to him. While the band was not able to play a set, a few family members/friends came on stage to sing songs to Roberto. All in all it was definitely an event I will never forget.

The clown who made me an oddly shaped flower, proposed marriage to me, begged me for a kiss, and then fake committed suicide infront of the kids after I said no....

La Hora Loca!!

The gathered friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment