If you'd like to follow my blog, please enter your email below...

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Bringing in the New Year in Peru!

Ringing in the New Year with my host family! Festivities included, yellow underwear, champagne, grapes, a New Years feast, fireworks, and time with the family!

Important to any Peruvian NYE,  yellow colored clothing is supposed to bring good luck in the New Year! Yellow underwear is especially lucky so at midnight you run, put on your underwear and return to the dinner table.

On top of this, at midnight you eat 12 grapes (6 white and 6 red) and make 12 wishes for the upcoming year!


My host mom (grandma) (right), her daughter (center) who lives in Argentina, and her sister (left.)

My two host siblings, my host grandma, my host grandma's sister and I.

The sisters and my host grandma's nephew, Lucho.


 The kids, Elsa, and I!


No comments:

Post a Comment