If you'd like to follow my blog, please enter your email below...

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Keeping in touch

When I lived in the U.S, I remember thinking that technology had made the world cold. Between texting, emails, phone calls, Skype, twitter etc. I felt like communication was no longer personal. In college, people would sit in a room together and text other people instead of talking with the people in front of them. While I still think that some of the situations were a little ridiculous, currently one of the best things about my week is my weekly Google video chat with my family. Every Sunday at 7PM EST/ 6PM CST/4PM WST(didn't realize this was so early for you Kat) we all join the Lake Family group video chat. We have managed to do this no matter where we are. (My eldest sister has videoed in from Napa while vacationing, my middle sister will be videoing in from the DR this week, my mom has called in when she couldn't video, I videoed in from Cajamarca, and my dad has videoed in from India, and while on a plane!) Technology is amazing! These video chats, my video chats with Mike, my video chats with friends (Knickele, Swen, Nick etc.), and my chats with other friends (Ann, Holly etc.) have really made my time in site easier. It has enabled me to keep up with what is happening in the lives of everyone I love. Being able to hear someone's voice is great but being able to see a person's expression while they talk is powerful. It almost makes communication personal again! Aside from the amazing video chats, an older form of communication, handwritten letters, has really made my Peace Corps experience magnificent. Going in once a month to my capital and getting mail from family/friends is the absolute best. I really appreciate everyone who has taken time out of their day to write me such beautiful letters. It is so easy for people to say, "We'll definitely keep in touch." But to those of you that have really gone above and beyond to stay in touch, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Our "2012 Christmas Picture"
A video chat wouldn't be complete without Izzy
Nor would a video chat be complete without Lily
Messing around with the google effects
Christmas!
My uncle and my babygirl, Lily

Originally the snorkel was on Izzy


I'm here to protect Pachamama and all her natural resources.



Pilsen Advertisement Much?

Don't even remember why you made this face
My awesome letter/pictures from students wall

Postcards!

No comments:

Post a Comment