If you'd like to follow my blog, please enter your email below...

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Cleaning Up Pacasmayo!

So to anyone who is subscribed to my blog, sorry for the huge influx of posts this week. I'm trying to get caught up on everything that has been going on lately. I know that lately I've been posting a lot about vacations/workshops but I swear I'm doing real work also!!! My current main activities are teaching lots of Environmental Education classes, teaching English to moms, trying to figure out how to install wind powered and solar powered water pumps at my schools, running an environmental youth group, turning my schools into ecoefficient schools, doing a weekly radio program, planting trees, and monthly beach cleanups with my students. In my spare time, I'm still working on turning plastic bags into yarn to make things like bags, hackeysacks, planters, keychains etc. Also the Municipality is hoping to start up its tree nursery project again and wants to start a recycling program so I've agreed to help them with that. Anyways, this blogpost is about the beach cleanup my students and I recently did. It was a successful cleanup but there is definitely a lot more to do! Even though my municipality did not provide the materials they promised, we cleaned up a ton and the municipality was kind enough to bring the trash to the dump for us. During the cleanup, I got interviewed by a news program called ATV. I was not expecting this and looked pretty gross (no shower+covered in garbage (typical Peace Corps me.)) My Spanish was pretty rough but it was cool hearing from people in my town that they saw me on TV! The cleanup was fun though. The kids kept trying to put malaguas (basically jellyfish) in the bags and I kept having to explain we just want the garbage. They were trying to prevent beach patrons from stepping on the malaguas though, so it was a sweet thought. Anyways, projects are going well. In the next few months I will be starting my own mini-tree nursery, hopefully starting a TV program, installing wind and or solar powered water pumps, initiating the plastic bags project, and continuing with the above projects. Thanks for reading!








Good group of kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment