If you'd like to follow my blog, please enter your email below...

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

La Hora Gringa AKA The Foreigner Hour

La Hora Gringa is the educational radio program I started with Sue (my site neighbor.) People often refer to me as gringa (foreigner/American) and so it made sense to title our program "la hora gringa" or the foreigner hour. During my first month in site, I decided that I wanted to start a radio program. I asked Sue if she would help me start a radio program about youth development, and the environment (our specialties.) Thankfully, she replied YES! (I would not have survived this process without her.) There was a station interested in airing our program right away and things seemed to be going swimmingly. Then we got stood up for 2 months straight, and switched to another station where we completed 3 programs before repeatedly being stood up. We decided to switch stations yet again. Third time is the charm, right? Right! Our new station is absolutely fantastic. We have been successfully doing our program for about 4.5 months now with Radio Bahia Mix FM (Wow I did not even realize it had been this long!) Our socio, Señor Becerra is absolutely wonderful. He tells us how much he loves our programs and even offers us suggestions for other programs. It has been an absolute pleasure working with him. Our program airs every Sunday at 9AM because this is considered a "family time" where families will listen to the program together. However, after a short while, we realized that some of our students aren't able to listen at 9 on Sundays and so we began a blog/facebook page where our students can listen to the program. While the students mainly listen for the "cool" songs we play along with our program, it has been a great way to mass educate our students and our towns about our specialties. While this was an incredibly frustrating, stressful and hard project to start, it is now one of my favorite projects. Here are a few photos of Sue and I recording our last program together. I am hoping that the new volunteers will help me keep the program alive. If you'd like to check out our radio program's blog here is the link...

https://lahoragringapacasmayo.blogspot.com/

Sue and I recording
A lovely photo of us talking

Our DJ Jaqueline




No comments:

Post a Comment